Suey

Suey is a 6 year old Springer Spaniel who was seen as an emergency one afternoon. Suey’s owner had noticed that she was acting very strangely. When examined by our Veterinary Surgeon Marie Arkell, Suey was shaking, salivating and very wobbly when trying to walk. We later discovered that Suey had access to Slug Bait containing Metaldehyde which she had eaten.

Suey

Any slug pellets containing the active ingredient Metaldehyde is very toxic to both dogs and cats. Onset of clinical symptoms can be very rapid, often within 30 minutes but can take up to 3 hours. Symptoms include: Incoordination, anxiety, hypersalivation. Quite often ingestion can lead to seizures and unfortunately death.

In Suey’s case she was very lucky that her owners noticed something was wrong very quickly and bought her in to the clinic immediately. We were able to induce vomiting to empty the stomach of any remaining granules. Suey was placed on intravenous fluids and given a sedative to help with her symptoms.
Suey was cared for overnight to monitor her for further signs. She was discharged the next day. We have chosen Suey as Pet of the Month. She is a lovely dog and we are so happy that with prompt treatment she has made a full recovery.

Please ensure that if you are using garden chemicals that they are non-toxic to pets,